always remember that racecar spelled backwards is still racecar

Monday, February 22, 2010

All things old are new again

I know it's cliche, but it's true. While some things disappear from the landscape, some things never seem to leave. Don't misunderstand, some things need to fade into history. Like hand crank cars, new cars without seat belts, bumper jacks, 6-volt electrical systems, and the ever popular toilet paper oil filter replacement cars. I was lucky enough to own a vehicle that fell into that last category and I always wondered what Mr. Whipple must have thought.

At least for me there is a certain make of cars that will never lose their charm (nor should they) and that's the Datsuns of the 1960's and 1970's. I love them all - from the Lil Hustler pick-up trucks, the Z-cars, the 510's and even the 1200 (the forerunner to the B-210). These vehicles were cheap to own and maintain and when I was growing up, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting at least half a dozen!

This past weekend in Sacramento, California there was a gathering of Datsun-heads keeping the faith alive. This event was thinly disguised as a car show, swap meet, and yak-fest for all things Datsun, but really it was more. It was yet another example of how this specific group of small, pre-smog, pre-unleaded gasoline powered vehicles continue to claim more followers.

One of those new followers is my son (don't tell his V8 only friends). While I could not be with him to share in his journey to Mecca, he called and sent me these pictures and I felt as if we did share the experience. It really took me back in time as I heard him describe all the 'cool' cars and the crazy mods. I know they say you can't go home again - I'd say the jury's still out on that one.






























No comments:

Post a Comment